For those of you have an old computer laying around the house here is a great way to put it back in use in ways that will forever simplify your life.
I have done this at the last few places I lived but never created a post of this before.
My first system I had setup was an old dell running xp with an 40gig drive minimal ram and stock gfx card. The second machine featured in the picture above is the new system I’m setting up today. Mac G4 45oMHz 800mb ram with all stock components.
Apps that you will need:
- VNC application, ChickoftheVNC to remote control your tv with your laptop… which like most of us is always in your lap while watching tv.
- VNC iphone remote application, Mocha Touch.
- VLC media player and iphone remote app
- Boxee if you have a new enough system to support it. Unfortunatly I’m running a g4 and can get some of the newer sexier apps.
- Hulu app. Again if your machine will support it.
- Handbrake to backup your DVD collection and store it in the basement.
- Silverlight…. I know, but its needed if you want to watch your Netflix movies.
Components you made need to setup the system (Note this depends on what ports you have on your computer and what you have on your TV)
So this is just a list of common ones
- 3.5mm cable with dual headphone inputs.
- VGA Cable (Supported by most newer TV’s)
- HDMI Cable if you got the hottest new gear
- Computer speakers if you missing the 3.5mm port on the back of you TV (This is the least ideal setup)
- largest HD you can cram into you machine. Why not hold all the media you can possible fit!
That should be a good start for you home media pc. Post a comment if you have a questions for recomendations. Enjoy.